Contributor note: “Bowers School is located about six miles west of Wilburton off Highway 270. This is a two-room school about 28 x 68 ft. constructed of cut and coursed native sandstone, which is now painted a sand color. It is currently used as a community center, and used by the West End Fire Department, who have an additional metal vehicle building nearby.
The school faces west and has a two-door entrance recessed beneath a porch gable roof, supported by four beams. The school roof is gabled and now covered with metal siding. Windows on the front are boarded, but the ribbon windows at the rear are still exposed.
The school was constructed in 1936-1937 by the WPA, and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.”
Waymarking: (http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMZ9N1_Bowers_School_Vic_Wilburton_OK), accessed November 11, 2018.
OK History: (https://www.okhistory.org/shpo/wpa/wpa4latimernr.pdf), accessed November 11, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Hamquilter on November 11, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE