Sometimes referred to as the Union Avenue Athletic Field, “Bowditch Field is the town’s main athletic facility. It is located on Union Avenue midway between Downtown and Framingham Center and was the main athletic facility for the town. It houses a large multi-purpose football stadium that included permanent bleachers on both sides of the field. There is still a baseball field, tennis courts, a track and field practice area, and the headquarters of the town Parks Department. Bowditch, along with Butterworth and Winch Parks, were all built during the Great Depression of the 1930s as WPA projects. It underwent a complete renovation/reconstruction in 2010.” (Wikipedia)
The 5,000-person concrete bleachers have been torn down and replaced. Photo of the original bleachers here.
The Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) conducted work at the field, too, building a field house in 1933 (completed by the E.R.A. in 1934).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framingham,_Massachusetts Annual Report of the Town of Framingham for the Year Ending December 31, 1933 (pg. 78). Annual Report of the Town of Framingham for the Year Ending December 31, 1934 (pg. 98). Annual Report of the Town of Framingham for the Year Ending December 31, 1943 (pg. 186).
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 14, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE