In a state-wide program to renovate and improve Mississippi institutions, the State Tuberculosis Hospital, using relief labor and ERA funding, carried out extensive painting and repairs and improvements in 1934-1935. $23,844.80 was expended on interior, exterior painting, floor refinishing, plastering, and new construction. Buildings improved included the two infirmary buildings, six smaller buildings including convalescent wards, nurses home, doctors apartments, staff residences, Preventorium, and service building. The carpenter shop, dairy barn, laying houses, and brooder were constructed. The Preventorium and some residences are still extant, but most other buildings have been demolished. The remaining buildings are used as the Boswell Regional Center operated by the Department of Mental Health.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
$220,000 is expended on state repair work for first two months. (Sep 28, 1934). Daily Clarion-Ledger, p. 18.
Improvements by ERA and state program completed. (Mar 14, 1935). Daily Clarion-Ledger, p. 3.
Baggett, A. (2010). The rise of the surgical age in the treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis: A case study of the Mississippi State Sanatorium. LSU Master's Theses. 302, (https://digitalcommons.lsu.edu/gradschool_theses/302), accessed October 31.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on November 1, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE