“During May and June 1946, two 900-square-foot murals depicting three centuries of local history were unceremoniously removed from the cavernous two-story rotunda of Brooklyn Borough Hall less than a decade after their creation.
The murals, titled “Brooklyn Past and Present,” were the work of a relatively unknown artist named Alois Fabry Jr., who had been commissioned to produce them through the Federal Art Project of the Works Progress Administration. Sprawling and detailed, interspersed with touches of whimsy and based on three months of prodigious research, they imbued the borough’s central administrative office building with a sweeping monumentality.”
The murals are missing and were possibly destroyed.
"The Other Battle of Brooklyn"; The New York Times, April 9, 2006. https://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/09/nyregion/thecity/09mura.html
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 28, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE