The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a roadway extension from Nichols Avenue to Bolling Field in southeast Washington DC in 1942. Judging from the current roadway network, this extension appears to have been Portland Street, which is now Malcolm X Avenue. Nichols is now Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue.
This project was part of a major program of road building and repaying across DC undertaken during the New Deal. Like all such road work, it is probably invisible today due to subsequent repavings; but the street itself is still there.
“Reduction in WPA hits war projects,” Washington Post, July 30, 1942, p. 7
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on March 5, 2015.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE