Blanchard Gym/Auditorium - Blanchard OK
The Works Progress Administration built the Blanchard gym/auditorium in Blanchard OK.
“The Blanchard gym/auditorium was completed as a WPA project in 1941. This is a one-story red brick building with an arched roof. On the west end, two wings reach north and south. All windows have been boarded up. The west end of the building has been remodeled with a roof facade, and currently houses the Blanchard Alumni Association, addressed as 400 N. Harrison Avenue. Two brick pillars at curbside were placed by the Classes of 1939 and 1940.
Above the windows on the rear portion of the building is a continuous brick lintel and above this are areas of raised brick forming lines and geometric shapes, with stone blocks at the corners. There are low parapets at the corners and a sloped roof line on the east end. A good view of the rear part of the gym can be seen from Tyler Avenue to the east.”
Waymarker: (https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM11D7C_Blanchard_Gym_Auditorium_Blanchard_OK), accessed October 2019.
Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination (http://thehistoryexchange.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Blancard-Gym.pdf), accessed October 2019.
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on October 24, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE