Black Mountain Lookout Tower
The Black Mountain Lookout Tower was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and was completed in 1940. The tower is 14′x14′ with a catwalk on a stone foundation. It functioned as the lookout for the north end of Bighorn National Forest. No longer in use, the tower remains a popular hiking destination.
In the summer of 2014 the U.S. Forest Service partnered with non-profit HistoriCorps to sponsor extensive rehabilitation work on the tower. Volunteers completed a variety of tasks with the intention of the tower becoming a rental cabin or interpretive site.
http://historicorps.org/blackmountain/ http://www.nhlr.org/lookouts/Lookout.aspx?id=379 http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/ccc/ccc/chap4.htm#41 * *No explicit reference to Black Mountain, but it details other projects in the Bighorn National Forest
Project originally submitted by Natalie Heneghan on November 21, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE