The Black Hawk State Historic Site, at the intersection of the Rock and Mississippi rivers, was an important site for Native American of the Sauk and Mesquakie tribes long before European settlers forced them off the land.
In the late 19th century, the site became part of an amusement park known as the Watch Tower Park. In the 1920s, the amusement park was demolished and the site became the Black Hawk State Park. It was designated as a historic site in 1987.
In 1933, two hundred CCC boys moved to the site and constructed the rustic Watchtower lodge, still in use today. The Park’s website explains:
“Set alongside the Rock River in the beautiful bluffs and forests of the Rock River Valley, this 75 year old lodge was built entirely from local limestone and timber. Designed by state architect Joseph Booton in 1932, the lodge was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1933-1935. The large main room has two massive stone fireplaces, original woodwork, and a spacious scenic patio.” (www.blackhawkpark.org)
The lodge also contains two WPA murals by Otto Hake.
CCC exhibit in the Hauberg Indian Museum in the building at the Blackhawk Stare Historic Site Rock Island Preservation Society - Black Hawk Park Lounge Enjoyillinois - John Hauberg Indian Museum Black Hawk State Historic Site - Facilities Rental Wikipedia - John Hauberg Museum of Native American Life
Project originally submitted by Anita Tenley on January 29, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE