Black Belt Experimental StationBlack Belt Experimental Station
“The Black Belt Substation, now expanded to become the Black Belt Research and Extension Center, was established in 1929 as one of the original “substations” of the Main Agricultural Experiment Station at Auburn University. Most of the research projects conducted at the Center emphasize beef cattle and forage production–a vital industry in the 12-county Blackbelt region containing 349,000 head of cattle. Research on cotton, soybeans, and small grains also provide equally valuable research proven information for Blackbelt farmers and cattlemen.”
The Works Progress Administration was involved in “Improve Black Belt Experiment Station near Marion Junction, Dallas County, including clearing, grubbing, and draining; and performing appurtenant and incidental work. In addition to projects specifically approved. State-owned property.” Application was submitted Dec. 12 1938, 29,400 man hours were spent, 43 men were employed on average, and $7,957 was the total funds spent. The Alabama Polytechnic Institute was the sponsor.
WPA job card.
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on September 19, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE