Northwest entrance frieze
The Birch Bayh Federal Building annex (the rear portion of the building, toward E. New York St.) features two vehicular entrances—one at the northeast and one at the northwest corner of the building. They are capped by identical limestone friezes, titled “Distribution of the Mail.”
Visitors’ Guide: “In 1939, Herron School of Art instructor David K. Rubins carved the limestone spandrels and keystones over the driveway entrance arches on the 1938 North Addition. He carved them in place. Mr. Rubins is also known for creating the statue of Young Abe Lincoln, which sits on the Indiana State House lawn, and the bronze cherub which graces the old L.S. Ayres & Co. clock at the corner of Meridian and Washington Streets every Christmas.”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 3, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE