Birch Bayh Federal Building AnnexThe annex, facing East New York Street
Annexes to the original federal building and courthouse dating to 1905 were completed in 1938. The entire structure was renamed for the late politician Birch Bayh in 2003.
From the visitor’s guide to the complex: “Originally half its current size, the Court House was expanded in 1938, with the east and west wings of the building extended and connected by a new north corridor. After the expansion, the building filled the entire block, rose to five stories on the north side, and incorporated two portals at the northeast and northwest corners to allow access for postal vehicles.”
Thus, the New Deal construction represents the northern portion of the building, facing East New York Street. The annex also features two vehicular entrances capped by examples of New Deal bas relief artwork.
Project originally submitted by Gray Brechin on July 12, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE