Shed and nearby former guard station
The National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form for the former Big Elk Guard Station (now a camping residence for seasonal rent) tells the history of the garage/storage shed located nearby:
“A Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)-built Garage/Storage Shed, erected ca. 1938, lies about 50′ east of the cabin. This rectangular, single-story building measures approximately 18′ x 16′ feet in plan and approximately 8′ 6” feet from the top of the corner boards at the eaves to the ground. The building has a medium-pitch gable roof with wood shingles and exposed rafter ends. The exterior walls are composed of horizontal “double-run molding” shiplap siding that covers horizontal boards over a milled lumber frame. A vehicle entrance with double leaf swinging doors and a fourlight window are located in the north elevation. The structure has no foundation; the western two-thirds of the structure has an earth floor and the east third, separated by an interior partition and accessible by two swinging doors in the west wall, has a wooden floor. The building is used for miscellaneous storage.”
The (former) guard station itself pre-dates the CCC (1929), although it is similar in architectural elements and appearance to CCC-built structures. The guard station and shed are located just east of Big Elk Road and two miles south of Hwy 140.
National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form: (https://npgallery.nps.gov/pdfhost/docs/NRHP/Text/00000462.pdf), accessed November 25, 2017.
Project originally submitted by Douglass Halvorsen on November 25, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE