Full bas-relief on side of G Building, Berkeley High School - Berkeley CA
The G Building of Berkeley High School sports a large group of cast stone bas-relief sculptures on the exterior. The artist was Lulu Braghetta, who worked under the auspices of the Federal Art Project (FAP) of the Works Progress Administration. The reliefs were installed in 1940.
Building G was originally part of the Industrial Arts and Sciences buildings and the Braghetta bas-reliefs portray scenes pertaining to science and the industrial arts. Some have figures (including one woman) and others are representations of carpentry, electricity, motors, engineering and machining. They decorate all sides of the building
Smith, Harvey. Berkeley and the New Deal. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Books. 2014, pp. 73-78.
Project originally submitted by Barbara Bernstein on December 28, 2014.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE