Benson Elementary School - Dean Street entrance
What is now Benson Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas was constructed in 1937-8 with the assistance of Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $37,933 grant for the project, whose total cost was $84,817. Construction began in Dec. 1937 and was largely completed in October 1938.
The school is now part of an expanded school and administrative campus known as the Benson Educational Complex. The original building is in the shape of an ‘L’ along Mueller and Dean Streets, and still features original floors, ceilings, and pull-up classroom closet doors, as well as its old auditorium stage. A Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works plaque can be found at the entrance on Dean Street.
PWA Docket No. Tex-1618-DS
Personal visit by Evan Kalish, March 2022
Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 186.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 27, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE