Bennington Town Hall
This simple wooden building was constructed by the WPA in 1936-37. As the town’s website explained:
“Until the 1930’s, town meetings were probably held in the schoolhouse at Bennington Center. In 1936, during Franklin D. Roosevelt’s presidency, the Works Progress Administration, known as W.P.A., provided jobs in building projects for a long-range value. The Town of Bennington had their town hall built. The federal government furnished the cost of labor for the building. The building is still used for the Town meetings. Several other organizations also use it.”
(1) National Archives and Records Administration, Records of the Work Projects Administration, Information Service, Primary File, 1936-42, Box 6, Folder 211-A. (2) https://www.benningtonny.com/history.htm
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on August 11, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE