Benjamin Allen HallBenjamin Allen Hall
Benjamin Allen Hall is named after an early 20th Century Lincoln University president and was built as a dormitory by the PWA in 1936. It served as housing for black legislators who could not find rooms at hotels in Jefferson City during legislative sessions. A professor of sociology, Oliver Cromwell Cox, was unable to find suitable housing when he arrived to teach in 1948 and resided in the dormitory for the next 20 years.
Benjamin Allen Hall entranceBenjamin Allen Hall entrance
Benjamin Allen Hall plaqueBenjamin Allen Hall plaque
Project originally submitted by Charles Swaney on June 26, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE