Log Lodge- Beltsville Agricultural Research Center
The Log Lodge at the Henry A. Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Center was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) from pine and white oak logs harvested on-site. Construction of the lodge was started in 1934 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), but little advanced when work halted. It was completed in 1937 by the CCC.
“The building was modeled after lodges in Yellowstone National Park. All logs and lumber used in the building came from trees growing on “the farm,” as the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center was known then. Only items such as the hardware windows and stones for the fireplaces came from other sources. The logs were cut from the straightest and tallest trees on the farm. Most are pine. The big uprights are white oaks. Some of the timbers are 40 to 50 feet long. A sawmill was set up at the site to cut them to size. The logs were then treated with a preservative and put into place.” (USDA website)
The Log Lodge was used for recreation by the CCC. After 1942, it became a cafeteria for the research station, which it remained until 1985. It was later renovated to restore the original appearance and has since been used as the visitor’s center for the Agricultural Research Station.
Project originally submitted by Thomas Graves on November 6, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE