Belt Parkway, 1940This 1940 photo shows the Belt Parkway through the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn. One of the most ambitious of the pre-war parkways built in New York City, the Belt Parkway is lined with waterfront promenades, bicycle paths, playgrounds and large parks. (Photo by Max Ulrich - New York City Department of Parks and Recreation Archive.)
Originally called the “Circumferential Parkway, “this roughly 25 mile stretch of highways forms a “belt-like circle around the New York City boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens.” What is now known officially as the “Belt Parkway” is comprised of three other parkways: the Shore Parkway, the Southern Parkway and the Cross Island Parkway (formerly the Laurelton Parkway). (wikipedia)
Plans for the parkway were originally raised by Robert Moses in 1930, but construction did not begin in 1934. It was completed in 1941.
In addition to $16,000,000 in city appropriations, the PWA provided another $12,000,000 in federal funds for the construction of the parkway.
Department of Parks, 1939 Press Release (pg. 283), www.nyc.gov Department of Parks, Press Release, December 1938 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_Island_Parkway https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_Parkway#History
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on July 5, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE