“On August 2,1940 the Town Board offered a resolution which was unanimously carried to hold a special election at the Sylvan Grange Hall in Beekmanville on the 24th of August. The resolution was to erected and construct on its lot in Poughquag a Town Hall and building for town purposes at an expense not to exceed $23,000 of which $8,000 is to be contributed by the Town of Beekman and the Balance by the W.P.A. The town would issue a $1,000 bond each year for eight years to pay the $8,000. The election of the 24th resulted in 160 voters casting a vote of 135 yes and 25 no’s. (In 1940, the number of registered Beekman voters was 365, resulting in a 45% turnout.) In addition, at a meeting on Dec. 30th 1940, the board voted to buy the adjoining lot across from the M. E. Church. The lot owned by Fred Homes. The W.P.A. projects ended once America entered World War II on December 7, 1941. The last building for which FDR helped secure funding was the Beekman Town Hall it finished in 1942.”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on May 16, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE