Bean Blossom Township School1937 school for Stinesville, veneered with local limestone. Chevron-roofed arcade was added in 1950s.
Built in 1936-37, occupied for school use on September 7, 1937. In 1875, the school district built a wood frame schoolhouse near the center of town. In 1903, the board built a masonry building to replace the frame school. In 1935, a fire destroyed the school. The building was insured for $35,000, but the estimated loss was $100.000. The new school served the entire township, since Indiana officials had been encouraging public school consolidation since the 1890s. Public Works Administration awarded a grant for $57, 348 to fill the gap. Additionally, the town sold bonds to fund the school. The school board added a gym, dedicated November 4, 1938. Ceased operations as a school in 2018, owned by Town of Stinesville.
Muncie Star Press, 10/1/1935, p. 1.
Stinesville Centennial Program, p. 27.
National Register of Historic Places nomination, Stinesville Historic District (pending, listing expected in February 2023)
Project originally submitted by Paul Diebold on November 8, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE