Beacon Hill PlaygroundTennis courts, originally constructed by WPA workers in 1941. Photo: Scott A. Newman © All Rights Reserved 28 August 2017
Between 1938 and 1941, with funding assistance from the Works Progress Administration (WPA), the Seattle Park Department completed several improvement projects at Beacon Hill Playground. In the first of these projects, WPA workers re-painted the playground shelter house in 1938. This was part of a city-wide project to paint and repair park buildings that, due to budget cuts, had received little to no maintenance since the early years of the Great Depression. The following year saw the installation of new lighting fixtures to provide nighttime illumination of the playfield. Then, in 1941, WPA workers regraded part of the playfield, installed a new drainage system, and built two concrete tennis courts in the northwest corner of the playground. The new tennis courts replaced a clay court that had been installed in 1914.
"Beacon Hill Playground." Seattle Parks and Recreation, (http://clerk.seattle.gov/~F_archives/sherwood/BeaconPG.pdf), accessed June 30, 2018.
Seattle Board of Park Commissioners. Annual Reports. Seattle, WA: Seattle Board of Park Commissioners, 1938, 1939, 1941.
Project originally submitted by Scott Newman on July 2, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE