The WPA allocated $612,800 in 1935 toward the renovation of the “pier building [at the] foot of Whitehall & South Sts.” The building in question is most likely what was then known as the Municipal Ferry Pier (built 1906-1909), now known as the Battery Maritime Building.
WPA Official Project No. 65-97-427.
National Archives; Record Group 69: Records of the Work Projects Administration; Records of the Project Control Division; microfilm publication T935; roll 41. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_Maritime_Building
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on August 11, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE