Bath Beach Park Baseball Diamond
Bath Beach Park, named for the surrounding neighborhood, was acquired by the City in 1937. In 1941-1942, the WPA completed extensive work on the park. A press release announcing the opening explained:
“Located on a knoll on the center line of 17 Avenue extended is a semi-circular overlook sitting area commanding an unobstructed view over Gravesend Bay and the Lower New York Bay. A concrete ramp skirts the brick surfaced retaining wall which supports the overlook and connects with a 30 foot wide tree and bench lined mall…
The smaller western section which is subdivided into six use areas by fencing, benches or tree planted block paved malls, contains the following facilities: brick comfort station, shower basin, irrigated sand pit and sitting area, swings, slides, seesaws and play houses for pre-school children; a pipe frame exercise unit, swings and slides for older children; and paddle tennis, shuffleboard and horseshoe pitching courts in the court games area.
East of the dividing mall is a grass surfaced softball diamond with hooded backstop. The northern half of this section contains two concrete surfaced handball courts and two basketball courts.
In addition to these facilities which were constructed by the Work Projects Administration from Department of Parks’ plans the following miscellaneous items were included in the improvement: 5 drinking fountains, flagpole in overlook area, park lighting and drainage, 44 Oriental Plane trees, 53 Norway maples, 1350 Japanese Honeysuckle for slope protection and 7 Boston Ivy on the brick comfort station.”
The park was significantly reconstructed in 1984.
Department of Parks, Press Release, January 5, 1942 NYC Parks - Bath Beach Park New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on December 25, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE