Village of Greene baseball diamond and covered bandstand built by WPAWPA work building a baseball diamond and grandstand grading activity
In 1936 the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a baseball diamond and a covered grandstand for the Greene Town Team in a park that is still referred to today as Ball Flats. Ball flats is a public recreation area “located next to the Chenango River within the Village of Greene….” (Greene Parks & Recreation).
An article by the town historian notes that
“In the 1930s there were so many strong left-handed batters (Harry Blakeslee, Bill Henninge, Charlie Gillette, Slim Barrows, Sanky Gibson among them) hitting the balls up to North Chenango Street, that they changed the layout of the field to what it is now.” (“Play Ball”)
Ball flats still has ball fields that are open to the public.
National Archives and Records Administration, Negative 7690-D "Play Ball", last accessed November 2015 "Parks and Recreation, Greene, New York", last accessed November 2015
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE