The historic Barfoot fire lookout tower in Coronado National Forest was built [most likely] by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1938.
NRHP Nomination Form: “Barfoot lookout is located on the Douglas Ranger District and was built in 1935, possibly by a CCC crew. The lookout house is an L-4 type wooden house measuring 14 ft by 14 ft. This complex also includes a wood frame shed, privy, concrete cistern and an attractive, rustic style native stone retaining wall. The lookout complex represents one of the best examples of its type in the Southwestern Region. Study of historic photographs indicates no major modifications have occurred to any of the structures at this complex since they were built. The lookout house and other structures have all retained their integrity of original design, construction, workmanship, materials, setting, location and association and the entire complex at Barfoot is recommended for National Register eligibility. The boundary of the Barfoot lookout complex is a square which measures 80 ft by 80 ft. The retaining wall comprises the west edge of the boundary and the northwest corner of the boundary is located 25 ft north of the northernmost railing post (near the southwest corner of the lookout). The area surrounding the complex within the boundary is not considered a “buffer area,” but is integral to the setting of the property.”
National Register of Historic Places nomination form:
"National Forest Fire Lookouts in the Southwestern Region. USDA Forest Service"
(.pdf pages 27-8 of 115; accessed Mar. 2018)
National Historic Lookout Register:
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 1, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE