Barclay School from southeast
A Public Works Administration (PWA) $27,000 grant contributed to the funding of the $60,000 Barclay Grade School in Oregon City. The PWA also provided a $33,000 loan that was repaid with approval of a local bond initiative.
This simple Colonial Revival style, wooden structure was designed by noted Portland architect Carl Wallwork. The Salem firm Odum Construction built the structure during 1936 and it opened for fall classes that year. Noted for his work in wood, Wallwork’s design included a hexagonal belfry with iron weathervane, a pedimented porch entry with square columns and pilasters, arched lights in the transome over the paneled doorway, and wood shingle siding.
This structure replaced the original Barclay Grade School built on this site in 1888. Although closed as an Oregon City elementary school in 1985, the building served as a community school and theater before being repurposed as an administrative office for the Oregon City School District’s Department of Special Programs.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
"817 12th Street," City of Oregon City Planning Department website. (Accessed June 14, 2021). 817 12th Street - Barclay School | City of Oregon City (orcity.org)
"Faculty Changes Made in Schools: Oregon City System Due to Start September 28," Oregonian. September 13, 1936. p. 6.
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on June 14, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE