Banita Creek Bridge
Constructed in 1941, with WPA labor, the Banita Creek Bridge crosses the waterway of the same name with three spans of reinforced concrete girder.
The 100’-long bridge has a 24’-wide roadway with cantilevered sidewalks on both sides. The hand railing is composed of open concrete balustrade divided into sections by stepped Art Deco-like posts. The approach railing at the end of bridge angles out, following the skew of the wingwalls below.
The WPA erected the bridge as part of a larger project that widened and improved the channels of Bonita and Lanana creeks. As part of the project, work-relief crews built sidewalks approaching this bridge and a separate bridge over Lanana Creek. Work began on the Banita Creek Bridge in July 1941 and concluded in October of the same year.
A nice suite of photos of the bridge can be found on Flickr.
Murphey, John W. Texas Historic Bridge Inventory survey form, Structure # 11-174-D012-85-01, August 31, 1999. WPA Official Project File # 18254.
Project originally submitted by John Murphey on March 10, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE