WPA workers working on the grounds of Baltimore National CemeteryWPA photograph provided courtesy of the University of Maryland College Park Archives.
According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, the land that is now Baltimore National Cemetery was once called the Cloud Capped Estate:
“Conversion of the Cloud Capped estate to a national shrine was the responsibility of the War Department, with work accomplished under the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a Depression-era make-work program. The WPA undertook work at several national cemeteries during its lifetime in the 1930s and early 1940s. The Baltimore property—envisioned as Maryland’s “Little Arlington”—was to accommodate 40,000 to 45,000 interments…Between 1936 and 1938, nearly $400,000 was expended on WPA improvements to Baltimore National Cemetery. Funds were spent on ‘surveys, roads, gates, fences, razing old mansion, new lodge, utilities, out-buildings, preparing and monumenting grave-sites, and landscaping.’ An estimated 100-150 men worked on the project between early 1937 and August 1940.”
(1) U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, at http://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/baltimore.asp, accessed January 11, 2013. (2) WPA photograph collection at the University of Maryland College Park Archives.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on January 11, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE