Lincoln Blvd. Bridge over Ballona Creek
The federal government in the form of the US Army Corps of Engineers played an instrumental role in developing the Ballona Creek waterway in Los Angeles, which helps drain the Los Angeles basin from the Santa Monica Mountains to the Pacific Ocean.
The section from the Pacific Ocean to Vista del Mar was started in 1938 and completed in 1939. The Vista del Mar to La Salle Ave section was started in 1935 and completed in 1936. The La Salle Ave. to Washington Blvd. section was started 1938 and completed 1939. The Washington Blvd. to Redondo Blvd. section was started in 1936 and completed in 1937.
A number of bridges that cross over the channel were also New Deal projects including La Cienega Boulevard (1937) Washington Boulevard (1938) Higuera Street (1938) Duquesne Avenue (1938) Overland Avenue (1938) Inglewood Boulevard (1937) Lincoln Boulevard/State Route 1 (1937) Culver Boulevard (1937).
Except for the Culver Blvd and Lincoln Blvd bridges that have concrete guard rails, all have similar steel stringer designs with ornate metal guard rails.
Wikipedia - Ballona Creek Operation and Maintenance Manual LA District Corps of Engineers www.Bridgehunter.com
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on October 18, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE