House of Hospitality
Originally built in 1915 as the Foreign Arts Building for the Panama-California Exposition, it was renovated and expanded in 1935, with WPA money for the California-Pacific International Exposition. Rose Hanks created an incised relief doorway depicting Junipero Serra for the fair.
Amero, Richard. 'History of the House of Hospitality Building in Balboa Park.' From the San Diego Historical Society website, accessed at: https://www.sandiegohistory.org/bpbuildings/hospitality.htm on July 17, 2007. See also, Branton, Pamela. 1991. The Works Progress Administration in San Diego County, 1935-1943. M.A. Thesis. San Diego State University. https://www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/89summer/early.htm
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE