The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) completed a project in 1937 that involved “building of a new wharf bridging and steps at the Baker’s Island lighthouse,” a project intended to improve safety at the lighthouse for both visitors and the keeper. The W.P.A. replaced 82-year-old rotting timbers at the wharf. Workers were transported via daily water taxi from Salem.
Works Progress Bulletin, Massachusetts: Sept. 16, 1937 (pg. 2).
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on February 18, 2017.
Additional contributions by Helen Bethell, February 26, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE