"The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established in April 1933 as a part of the New Deal Program of President Roosevelt as an effort
to provide work for unemployed Americans during the Great Depression. Many of Backbone's buildings were constructed by the CCC from 1933 to
1941. Among the projects completed at Backbone were the dams on the Maquoketa River forming Backbone Lake, a cluster of rustic family
cabins, beach and boat house, an auditorium, bridges, roads, picnic shelters, rest rooms, and trails. Most of these structures have been
restored and the effort continues."
Project submitted by Mitchell Heldt. http://www.delawarecountyia.com/backbone001.html
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE