Avondale Elementary School
The old Avondale Elementary School building facing the street at 295 Western Ave., which is now an administrative building for the Avondale Elementary School District was built by the WPA, as is the school’s current gymnasium. These are most likely two of the buildings referred to in a publication by the Three Rivers Historical Society stating that: “In 1937, with a school bond issue of $12,500 and $77,315 in W.P.A. labor, Avondale School added more classrooms.” Several sidewalks around the school also bear circular stamps saying “USA WPA.”
WPA Plaques and Sidewalk Stamps Squire J, "City of Avondale," 2008 (Arcadia Publishing) Three Rivers Historical Society Quarterly, Vol. No 12 Issue No, 4, Oct.-Dec. 2015
Project originally submitted by Michael Hudson on December 7, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE