Avoca State Fish Hatchery Shelter House and Stone Works
National Youth Administration (NYA) was stationed at Avoca State Fish Hatchery from 1935 until 1942. The improvements to Avoca State Fish Hatchery was one of the longest NYA projects undertaken in the state. The NYA built a shelter house with limestone walls and a limestone fireplace. Besides the shelter house, they constructed trails which were enhanced with a stone entrance, steps, overlook, and bridge.
DNR Historic Site and Structures Inventory
Project originally submitted by Indiana DNR, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology on September 30, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE