In 1939, the federal Work Progress Administration (WPA) worked to develop Austin Cary Forest, a UCF facility used for “the purposes of academic teaching, research, extension education, and demonstration“.
The WPA “built roads, buildings, and water draining ditches. And 100,000 board feet of pine and 80,000 cypress shingles were logged from the forest and processed at the School’s sawmill.”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on August 4, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE