A combination auditorium/gymnasium was constructed at Saint Jo, Texas by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1939. When finished, the building was to be 72 x 100 feet. The auditorium was to be 72 x 85 feet. It had a seating capacity of 1500 with 500 additional in bleachers. A 100 square foot stage was at the north end. Showers were installed at either end of the stage and dressing rooms and lockers were in the basement beneath the stage. The 13 1/2 inch walls were of concrete block with a four inch brick veneer to match the existing school. The project also included the construction of a 2300-foot rock wall and three tennis courts and a volleyball court. The school yard was graded and planted with Bermuda grass. The school system was to also received a new football field.
The Saint Jo Tribune, July 14, 1939 (through the Portal to Texas History (http://texashistory,unt.edu)
Project originally submitted by Susan Kline on February 27, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE