New Boys' Dormitory and Stadium, A.S.T.C.
The Work Projects Administration (WPA) constructed a stadium and athletic field at what was then known as Appalachian State Teachers College (A.S.T.C.). Work was completed in 1939. Per The News and Observer, the college has “a class one field on which to display their prowess. Naturally, the main item is a 2500-seat steel and concrete stadium. No, the college is not an adjunct to its football team. The sport is just a normal college activity here.”
The facility, which was located north / east of Rivers Street at what is now the site of Rankin Hall and Edwin Duncan Hall, has been demolished.
"Boondoggling Boomerangs and Blesses," The News and Observer, Raleigh, North Carolina, June 04, 1939 (pg. 11): https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/651562494/
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on June 22, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE