Pocahontas AR Post Office Mural
H. Louis Freund painted this 13′ x 4’8″ oil on canvas mural “Early Days and First Post Office in Pocahontas” in 1939 for the Treasury Section of Fine Arts for the post office in Pocahontas. After years of damage, it was restored and transported to ASU.
“The mural depicts several early scenes of Pocahontas and the surrounding areas. In the lower right is the community of Davidsonville, where the state’s first post office was established in 1817. On the left is the old dam and mill as it existed around 1835 in the community of Birdell on the Eleven Point River. The central part of the mural depicts Pocahontas around 1900 when it was a prosperous river town. The image includes the old county courthouse, the Biggers Hotel, which at the time was the largest in between St. Louis and Little Rock, and the old Hamil residence, the first large home constructed within Pocahontas.” (cms.uca.edu)
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE