Appalachian State Teachers College: WPA-built Faculty HomesAppalachian State Teachers College: WPA-built Faculty Homes
In 1939-1940 the Work Projects Administration (WPA) constructed faculty homes at what was then known as Appalachian State Teachers College (A.S.T.C.). The homes were constructed of brick or native stone. Per the university’s website, the buildings were “converted later for departmental use and gradually demolished during 1990s.”
Also known as Faculty Row, the “series of small stone and brick houses built as faculty residences” once lined “Faculty and River[s] Streets.”
"Boondoggling Boomerangs and Blesses," The News and Observer, Raleigh, North Carolina, June 04, 1939 (pg. 11): https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/651562494/
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on June 22, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE