“In 1938, the newly created State Park Commission (which had been formed in 1935) recommended that the State accept a gift of 100 acres of land near Presque Isle. This became Aroostook State Park, the first in the State Park system…
On October 26, 1938, it was announced that WPA work on the State Park would begin within a few weeks; with Mr. C.P. Bradford as the engineer. $7,715 had been allotted and that the first work would be the building of a trail on the west side of the mountain, a ski and toboggan slide, a ski tow, skating rink on the lake, toilets and warming houses on the shore of the lake, and warming houses along the ski slopes, also clearing and grading for parking spaces.
Work on the State Park was begun on December 21. A committee for the big opening was named by President Walter Tapley of the Merchants’ Association and was: Harry Green, Fred P. Stevens and Harvey F. McGlauflin.
The first bit of ground was broken by Elbridge B. Sprague, long a resident of Spragueville and who at one time owned the whole Quoggy Joe area. Mr. Bradford, the engineer was present with a crew of 35 WPA workmen, who soon began clearing for a long ski trail and other improvements. Early in January of 1939, the ski trail which was 2,700 feet long and from 25 to 30 feet wide, was finished. Word was received that a 265 foot toboggan slide would be brought to the State Park. It was formerly used at Bates College and had cost about $1,500. The annual downhill and slalom championship races were held at Quoggy Joe in the latter part of February, 1939. The park was officially opened with a program of events on March 19, 1939, and about 500 people were present for the event.
When the Governor of Maine and the council had appropriated the $1,800 necessary to secure a project of $9,000 through the WPA, it assured the future of the State Park at Quoggy Joe. Mr. Tapley of the Merchants’ Association announced that the money would be used in completing the ski jump, the lunch ground, and it would do most of the necessary work on the shore line.” (http://www.mainerec.com)
Project date: Dec. 21 1938 to Mar. 19, 1939.
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on March 23, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE