Redwood amphitheater at Armstrong Redwoods State Park
The WPA built an outdoor amphitheater, a combination community building and warden's headquarters, BBQ pits, picnic tables (built from native redwood), a timber bridge, two miles of road improvements, cleared underbrush, and made general improvements to park grounds and other facilities.
The outdoor amphitheater is located near the Parsons Jones tree. The cost of the amphitheater and the community building combined was $74,000.
A 1940 publication on the WPA describes the WPA's involvement in the park as follows:
"Accomplishments of WPA workmen at Armstrong Grove State Park – in addition to the modernization of nearby main thoroughfares that skirt the Russian River – include the building of barbecue pits, picnic tables, enlarging of camping areas, and construction of a ranger station and lodge of native redwood that have been visited by tourists from every state in the Union and abroad and an outdoor amphitheater nestling beneath towering trees."
Goddard, Paulene. 1976. The Impact of the Works Projects Administration (WPA) in Sonoma County. M.A. Thesis. William R. Lawson. "Achievements, Federal Works Agency. Work Projects Administration, Northern California." 1940: 57.