The armory for Yazoo City was funded by the WPA with a projected cost of $52,000. Located on the corner of Jackson Avenue and Twelfth Street, it was intended for use as the armory, auditorium, and other public use. The monolithic concrete building was designed by architect N. W. Overstreet. The city provided about $20,000 through the bond sales for their contribution. Harris & Knowles was awarded contract for reinforcing steel, H. L. White Lumber Company for the lumber, and W. H. Johnston for electrical work. Lack of available WPA labor and materials shortages resulted in a delay of completion. The building is extant, though no longer in use as an armory.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory. (Old) National Guard Armory. Retrieved October 27, 2019 from: https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/rpt.aspx?rpt=publicPropSearch&Name=&StreetNo=&StreetName=&City=Yazoo%20City&County=Any
Armory assured for Yazoo City. (May 3, 1940). The Yazoo Semi-Weekly Sentinel, p. 1.
Await release Armory project. (May 7, 1940). The Yazoo Semi-Weekly Sentinel, p. 1.
$52,000.00 Armory and Civic Center assured to Yazoo. (Jan 28, 1941). The Yazoo Herald, p. 1.
The Yazoo Herald. Mar 25, 1941. P. 2
Synopsis of Council Proceedings. (Jun 27, 1941). The Yazoo Herald, p. 4.
Construction work booming in Yazoo. (Sep 16, 1941). The Yazoo Herald, p. 1.
Work on Armory Resumed Here. (Jul 21, 1942). The Yazoo City Herald, p. 1.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on November 7, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE