Armory, Yale, OKhamquilter, 2018 Creative Commons
The Works Progress Administration built an armory in Yale, OK in 1936.
“The Armory in Yale, as with most Oklahoma armories, was constructed by the WPA.
This stone armory is located at 200 S. Main, and appears to be either vacant, or perhaps used by the town for storage. The armory faces East and has two wooden doors located in a slightly projected fortress-style bay. The tall window units are multi-pane casement. One overhead vehicle door is located at the northeast corner.
A cornerstone is located on the northeast corner and reads: ‘State Armory Built by Works Progress Administration 1936 W.S. Key State Administrator’
The front portion of the building is one-story and contains offices. At the rear, a large barrel-roof drill hall is located, with two overhead doors on the south side. This armory was built with a WPA appropriation of $33,688.”
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on December 30, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE