Armory shown on a 1930 map1930 Real Estate Plat-Book of the City of Trenton and Borough of Princeton, Mercer County, New Jersey (Plate 6 of 48, Trenton)
The historic 114th Infantry Armory building in Trenon, New Jersey was the recipient of WPA improvement efforts.
A 1930 map identifies the armory’s location as the northwest corner of what was then the intersection of E. Front St. and Armory Dr.
The fate of the building was detailed in a 1975 New York Times article: “A raging fire sent flames more than 100 feet into the sky destroyed the Trenton Civic Center early today. The building, a converted National Guard Armory, housed city offices and records. City officials were looking for room to accommodate 300 city employees who normally work in the Civic Center.”
WPA Official Project Numbers: 165‐1‐22‐160 and 465‐22‐2‐567. Additional project description: “Improve the 114th Infantry Armory by painting the interior and exterior, preserve floors.”
Nationwide Context, Inventory, and Heritage Assessment of Works Progress Administration and Civilian Conservation Corps Resources on Department of Defense Installations, July 2009 (pages C-113, C-114).
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on February 22, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE