Tonkawa Armory© 2017 hamquilter
“The Tonkawa Armory is located east of the downtown area on North Street. The armory is rectangular (136′ x 124′) and constructed of native limestone in the Romanesque style. The architect firm was Nolan, Bryan, Ahler. The roof is concrete and flat with parapets on the front (south) and west sides. An arched metal gable roof is located over the drill area.
“The front which faces south has four overhead garage doors, and a single entry door recessed into the slightly projected entry bay. The west elevation is similar in construction. The windows are fixed single units.
“The armory was constructed in 1936 and placed on the National Register in 1988. It is currently owned by the local school district and appears to be used as a bus barn and maintenance building.”
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on July 1, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE