The Works Progress Administration (WPA) allotted $30,379 to construct a new National Guard Armory in 1938. N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town were architects for the two-story, reinforced concrete Art Deco style building.
The lower floor was devoted to Battery A of the 114th Field Artillery and regimental headquarters, battalion headquarters, instructors’ office, classroom, caretakers’ office and other rooms occupied the second floor. Work began in December 1938 and required seven months of construction. WPA workers also had to demolish two buildings at the site prior to construction beginning. The total cost was $38,453.17, with costs above the WPA allotment covered by the city of Greenville and Washington County. City engineer Frank E. Hall supervised the construction. The former Armory is used as city offices currently and was designated a Mississippi Landmark in 1997.
Archer, R. W. (2011). Greenville Commercial Historic District Boundary Increase No. 1. National Park Service/National Register of Historic Places. United States Department of Interior.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory. Greenville, (Old) National Guard Armory [Fort Nicholson]. Retrieved 07/14/2020 from https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/rpt.aspx?rpt=publicPropSearch&Name=&StreetNo=&StreetName=&City=Greenville&County=Any
Armory Project Begun in Delta. (Dec 13, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 13.
Armory Work Begun Today. (Dec 27, 1938). The Delta Democrat-Times, p. 1.
WPA Regional Director Maps Defense Aid Here. (June 22, 1940). Clarion-Ledger, p. 10.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on July 16, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE