Architect Drawing of the National Guard Old ArmorySource: City of Armory (https://www.cityofamoryms.com/amory-proud/old-armory/)
The Works Progress Administration financed the construction of a national guard armory and rifle range for Amory. Architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town designed the building, “expected to exceed $56,000 and take 12 months” (Daily Clarion-Ledger, Oct. 6, 1940, p. 5). The average number of workers for the project was 44. In 2002, the building was named a Mississippi Landmark.
Old National Guard Armory, Amory. Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory. Retrieved from https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/prop.aspx?view=architectural
"Amory Studies Armory Plans." (Feb. 22, 1940). Daily Clarion-Ledger, p. 4.
"Amory to Have Work." (Oct. 6, 1940). Daily Clarion-Ledger, p. 5.
City of Armory (https://www.cityofamoryms.com/amory-proud/old-armory/), accessed December 22, 2017.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on December 22, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE