Arkansas School for the Blind
This large school was built by the WPA in 1939 and is still in us.
“Arkansas’s WPA program began in July 1935 under state administrator William R. Dyess and provided money for numerous social services and infrastructure improvement projects. Social programs in the state included the School Lunch Program, the Commodity Distribution Program, and the Adult Education Program. While these programs fed, clothed, and educated many Arkansans, the WPA is perhaps better remembered for the roads, bridges, and buildings it constructed. Pulaski County used the $13.4 million it received from the federal government–more than any other Arkansas county–for projects like the Arkansas School for the Blind, the Pulaski County Hospital, and extensive improvements to Adams Field.” (http://www.arkansaspreservation.com)
National Archives, RG 69 Records of the Work Projects Administration, “Information Service (Primary) File, 1936-1942.”
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on May 22, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE