"Lost Continents of Atlantis and Mu"
This oil-on-plaster “Prismatarium” mural was designed by Hilaire Hilel to give “striking demonstrations on the relationship of color and light.” It covers the walls and ceiling of a circular room on the west side of the building. Originally, the light fixture revolved. Several other artists also worked on this mural with Hiler.
Hilaire also created the massive 10′ x 100′ mural entitled “Lost Continents of Atlantis and Mu,” a “wax-emulsion variation of the Gambier-Parry spirit fresco process,” was completed in 1939 with the help of FAP funds. It covers all 4 walls of the main hall.
Originally posted in the New Deal Art Registry: http://www.newdealartregistry.org/
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE