Annapolis Hall of Records
What is now St. John’s College’s Greenfield Library was originally constructed as the Annapolis Hall of Records, which served as the Maryland State Archives until 1984.
The facility was constructed in 1934, and was funded by the Public Works Administration (P.W.A.). The land was deeded to the state of Maryland for $10, and Lawrence Hall Fowler was the architect. The building is part of the Georgian Revival style. Originally, the building had a seven storied interior. The building was completely renovated from 1994 to 1996 as part of the conversion to Greenfield Library, featuring conversion to a three-story interior.
Brugger, R. J. (1988). Maryland, a middle temperament: 1634-1980. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press.
Robertson, J. A. (1939). From the Maryland archives. Bulletin of the Business Historical Society, 13(1), 11-13. doi:10.2307/3110908
Project originally submitted by Greg McElhatton on April 3, 2015.